Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Rethinking Clifford, The Big Red house

Clifford, The Big Red House has been gutted and empty for weeks now. I highly underestimated the level of corruption and incompetence in the Chicago Permit Offices. I was warned, but I just could not fathom it could be this bad. Just to give you an idea of how far behind we are, the third floor edition (which includes ripping off and rebuilding the roof and the back wall of the house) and all outside work was supposed to be completed and sealed up by November 1. It is November 3rd and no such work has begun.
Serenity Now.


All of this time sitting and waiting knocked my design brain all out of whack, I have scrapped all of my previous plans for the living spaces and am now starting from scratch. I have heard many talented designers complain in the past that when it comes to doing their own spaces, they are often at a loss. Not that I, a lowly assistant, put myself in their shoes, but I now know what they are talking about. When you work in design, you see SO many different ideas every day it can make your head spin! Working for clients who have different tastes than you, you learn to train yourself to see the merit in many different design styles, so that sometimes it is hard to remember to Follow Your Bliss!
See how I did that??

Anyway, a voice has been whispering in the back of my head for awhile now that my bliss is Peacock Blue. Our house is such a dignified old gentleman I think it is time for me to shed my girlish ways (i.e. neon) and embrace a more mature attitude towards color. I think that peacock blue is the key.
But now I am wracked with insecurity over my new design persona. Thank the Decorating Gods for House of Turquoise, otherwise I would be a lost little rower in a giant sea of peacock blue. H.O.T. is a blog completely dedicated to the authors love of Turquoise interiors, which really amounts to a keenly edited array of blue hued rooms and accessories. Trust me, even if blue isn't your bliss, it is a great resource. By scouring H.O.T.'s archives and my own I have come up with zillions of examples of what Blue can be:


{Contemporary: via Domino}








{Soothing: Domino}




{Equestrian: Diamond Baratta}


{Studious: Cote de Texas}



And now these, are my favorites:


Miles Redd because can't he just come to Chicago and design my house FOR me!?


{Miles Redd again, the high gloss is funky but the dark floors and color palette ground the room.}


{I have posted this before, I think Clifford is a classic American, just like this room: Southern Accents}


{Miles Redd again, I'm sorry, I luff heeem}


{This room is just so cozy, but might it get too dark? I don't know...But I love it. Jan Showers}


{The walls here might be a bit too turquoise for my purposes, but I love it with the white accents and green velvet chair. House of Turquoise}


{This has been in my favorites file forever, I love the high gloss and the pop of pink}

In the end I think Clifford, The Big Red House, should be a mix of preppy Ralph Lauren, classic, and cozy with a contemporary twist.
So what do we think, have I become completely unmoored, or is this just what the Design Doctor ordered?

2 comments:

Ali said...

love!

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

Peacock blue is an incredible color, and the pictures you chose show exactly why!! I firmly say it's just what the design doctor ordered!

Thanks so much for the kind mention of House of Turquoise! I greatly appreciate it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin