Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Real Weddings: Emilie & David

This weeks Real Weddings post is brought to you by the very lovely Miss Emilie Wallace (well really, Mrs., but I was channeling Julia Roberts in My Best Friends Weddings...). She and her handsome husband were married around this time last year, and I am thrilled she decided to share some of the pictures, and advice, from her very beautiful very special day with all of us here at Peppermint Bliss.
Enjoy!

I picked out my bridesmaids dresses at an adorable boutique in New Orleans called “Wedding Belles”. They had a great selection of gowns but I immediately feel in love with these dresses by Jenny Yoo. The back of the dress had a train that followed the girls as they walked down the aisle, but then was bustled for the reception. All the girls looked so pretty in their dresses!

I loved all the boys’ boutonnieres. They all wore orchids, the groomsmen wore green and David wore a white one. David and I both had 13 attendants in our wedding party, which sounds like a big number, but I am just so thankful that everyone we love was able to be a part of our special day. So my advice to future brides, don’t let anything limit your wedding day, be true to yourself, because it only happens once!!

The church where we were married is very colorful, lots of stain glass and primary colors, which didn’t really go with our “rustic fall” theme. So I decided to go with white and green flowers at the ceremony to tone down some of the bright colors in the church and I love how these aisle markers turned out.

David is Catholic and I am Methodist, so for our ceremony we wanted to make sure both faiths were represented. We actually had two officiants, my minister from Chapelwood UMC and David’s priest, who drove in from Lake Charles for the occasion. The priest accepted our vows and the minister pronounced us man and wife. It really worked out great and made the ceremony very personal to our families and us. In this picture David and I are about to walk down the aisle and head to the reception, we are just so happy to be married!

We had a rustic fall theme which was inspired by the season of our wedding. At first our colors were chocolate and coral but that kind of evolved into all fall colors in general. And while I wanted it to be in the traditional southern style, we wanted to tie in some rustic/country influences as well.

Mr. & Mrs. Wallace!

We wanted a lot of flowers and a lot of candlelight at our reception.

{Editors note: How GORGEOUS are these flowers!?}


As weird as this sounds, when I first tried on my dress I thought what a beautiful cake it would make! The a-line skirt of my dress had these delicate folds that really inspired the cake. The flowers that were etched on the cake also came from my dress.

{Editors Note: I absolutely love this idea, it keeps the cake classic and timeless white, while personalizing it for you!}

For David’s cake, I had Susie, from Susie’s Cakes, replicate Tiger Stadium or as it is better known as “Death Valley”.

David and I both went to LSU and are huge Tiger fans.

Since we had won the National Championship in 2007 it seemed only fitting to have the BCS game against Ohio State playing on the jumbo-tron! I found a small DVD player with an attached screen and they were able to attach it to the cake, it was awesome!

The best part about it was that it was a total surprise to David. He truly loved it and I have to say I am quite proud of how it turned out!

{Editors Note: I would marry Emilie in a second for a cake like this, what a great surprise!}


Our band, Soulfire, was amazing. They had so much personality and were incredible performers.

They really kept the dance floor hopping and played great fun music!


I think my parents had the best time out of everyone!

For our guest book we did something a little different. We had our photographer, Brooke Schwab (who is amazing by the way!!) compile our engagement photos into a book that our guests signed at the reception. The notes ended up being kind of yearbook-y, which made it all the more sentimental to us and the best coffee table book ever!

At the end of the ceremony guests each grabbed a rose from the “W” display and threw them at us as we left. The rose petals had already been separated but then placed back together for the arrangement. All the flowers reflected our rustic fall theme.

Any Wedding planning advice for other brides?

I hadn't really ever pictured what my "dream wedding" was until I started planning it. And for the first few months of being engaged, I was really overwhelmed with achieving perfection and I let myself get pretty stressed out over silly details. It wasn't until I finally came to terms with the fact that my wedding was a reflection of David and me, not something out of a magazine, that I was able to let the little things go and really enjoy the process.

OH! And don't plan your wedding for Hurricane Season, Ike was a very unwelcome guest...

What was your favorite memory from planning your wedding?

My favorite memories of the planning were actually running around Houston with my mom trying to squeeze in all my appointments since I wasn't able to come into town very often. Getting lost trying to find the cake place or spending way too many hours playing at the stores where I was registering. But as far as the wedding goes, the ceremony was really special to me. The reception was just a blur, but a blast! And while I loved every second of the whole thing, the best part to me was the honeymoon!!

Emilie's friend, bridesmaid, and overall fantastic human being Sarah had this to say:

"Emilie and I met each other in high school and instantly clicked. She is one of my silliest, most loyal, and fun friends-- even though she never returns any of my phone calls. I remember when she brought this cute cajun boy David home for the holidays when we were in college and I knew right away that he was the one for Em. His thoughtful and driven personality is the perfect match to her creative, spontaneous nature. They married the fall after we graduated and I can't tell you what an amazing wedding it was. I was so honored to be included. We all love Emilie & David so much, it made for a really fun party...I hope some of the dancing pictures make the cut!"

Thank you SO much Emilie for sharing your wedding with us, and Congratulations to you and David on your One Year Anniversary!
xoxo

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin