Monday, September 7, 2009

A Case of the Mondays...

Lest you think this blog is a random assortment of thoughts, I want you all to know I have a plan. Each day will have an assigned subject relating to design/entertaining, and on Mondays I will feature my Chicago Travel Guide! 
Excited??

Great, me too!

I took this little quiz the other day, and I am pretty sure Chicago was not one of the options, because somehow the city they told me I should live in was PARIS!? 

What City Should You Live In?

You should live in Paris. The city of lights will appeal to your appreciation of beauty and romance. You are a lover and a poet by nature, and Paris' sensitive charms will be a perfect match for yours.

Find Your Character @ BrainFall.com


I don't even like Paris! 
However, I LOVE Chicago.
Let me tell you why:

1. The lake. 

It's big. It's beautiful. It's clean. AND it's freshwater, so one day, I can get a fabulous wooden speedboat. 


Pete will wear a captains hat.
 

And I will be his skipper!


 I will call it the Lady GoodBaby, and if you are nice, I will take you on a sunset cruise.

2. The people. Midwesteners are the nicest people in the world. I have already found husbands for all of my single girlfriends.

3. The restaurants. Petey and I have made an effort to try at least two new restaurants a week, and after three months here I still feel like we have barely scratched the surface! So far, some of our favorites are:

Table Fifty-Two: Oprah's personal chef started this tiny restaurant in the Gold Coast which features delishy upscale southern food like Shrimp&Grits, Fried Green Tomatoes, and Mac&Cheese...and you KNOW Opie's chef makes a mean mac...Only problem is that since the Obamas dined here for Valentine's Day this year, reservations have been pretty tricky. However, if you can get in, it's definitely worth the wait!


Alinea: Voted one of the Top 50 restaurants in the world, the story behind this Lincoln Park restaurant and its Chef, Grant Achatz, is as inspiring as the food. You may have seen him on Oprah (I know that is my second O reference in one post, but it's Chicago, she owns this town!) talking about his journey battling Stage IV Tongue Cancer (FYI there is no Stage V). Thanks to an aggressive treatment plan Achatz has made a miraculous recovery, and diners at Alinea can once again experience his truly brilliant taste. And I do mean experience. You don't just eat at Alinea, you are taken on a 12 or 24 course adventure. You laugh, you cry. You eat some really delicious, crazy food. I have embarked on the 24 course Tour twice, and I feel like I am a better person because of it. Not to mention, watching your super conservative, somewhat serious, totally adorable, future brother-in-law try to tackle the Transparency dessert is pretty much priceless. 

{Pete and the Transparency}

The Bristol: Pete and I tried this Bucktown spot for the first time last night, and we will definitely be back soon! The Bristol calls itself "a neighborhood eatery" and has a very cool, casual, urban atmosphere. The seasonal menu features a fresh take on American cuisine, a vibe that carries through to their cocktails. Updated versions of drinks like the Ramos Gin Fizz are put together by their master mixologist and served in delightful vessels like this one:


Order the monkey bread, gnocchi, and apple/manchego salad- you'll be a very happy chappy. 

Twin Anchors: Located in Old Town this casual bar and rib joint has been a Chicago Tradition since 1932. Famous people have eaten there: Frank Sinatra, Conan O'Brian, Chris Farley, and Me. If there is one thing Frank, Conan, Chris and I all share, and it's hard to choose just one because there are so many, it's a passion for Bar-B-Q. And onion rings. Twin Anchors has an excellent selection of both.
 

There are many more restaurants I could tell y'all about, and I will, but patience is a virtue and I have to keep you guys comin' back for more! Until then, please enjoy Twin Anchors' friend and mine, Ol' Blue Eyes, singing about his favorite Toddlin' Town!



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin