Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Real Weddings: Ali & Lance

As promised, this week I bring you the first Real Weddings post on FYB! Ali and Lance met and started dating our Freshman Year at Kent, and just had THE most lovely wedding this summer. Ali was incredibly gracious and agreed to not only share the pictures from their big day, she also gave me some great tips she learned along the way. Please enjoy!

The Engagement:

Every Fourth of July weekend Lance and I go to Nantucket to visit his parents, we always invite my parent but they have always been busy with my brothers. Finally, when they were able to make it out, Lance decided to take them out to lunch while I was at work to ask their permission. The day after lunch he invited my mom to go with him to get my ring.When my parents were able to come to Nantucket, I thought that this would be a perfect time for Lance to propose, but he said that he was too scared to ask my dad and I knew he wouldn’t propose without asking. Before we left for Nantucket I did a little snooping and unfortunately I didn’t find anything so I decided we weren’t going to get engaged. Lance knew I would look through his bag and asked for a bag to put the ring in and hid it under his orthotic in his shoe. 
{Editors note: Sound like anyone else you know??}
On July 5th it was pouring which threw Lance’s plan off to get me to our favorite beach. Luckily he came up with a last minute plan to get me there. He said they were building a snack shack on the beach, which made me furious because the beach we usually go to is quiet and we didn’t want it turning into a crowded place, we needed to check it out rain or shine. We parked and got out, it was pouring and made the trek over the dune.  When I got over the dune I saw Lance and NO snack shack and I knew. He got down on his knee and after almost 8 years asked me to marry him. With lots of tears and yes’s we were finally engaged and the rain actually made it very romantic.


The Location:

{I love love love this lighting idea, and it would be so easy to recreate!}

The wedding was at my family’s beach house in West Falmouth, Massachusetts (Cape Cod). At first I was all about having a huge wedding at a venue and getting married outside, but after Lance and I talked about it we decided this place would have the most meaning, plus no one would have the same wedding pictures as us! We then talked with my grandmother who owned the house who said she would love us to have our wedding there. She passed away 3 months later, and I feel like when we got married there she was looking down on us giving us such a perfect day and it gave the location that much more meaning.


Wedding Planner:

We really thought about having a wedding planner but I was nervous about it taking away from the process. I really wanted to feel like everything in our wedding was my idea and exactly what I wanted. Now that I have gone through the process I would say unless you have A LOT of time you should definitely get a wedding planner.
I love the color green and had this vision of a green and yellow wedding BUT when Lance said he wanted Nantucket red pants that vision totally changed. 

{How great do the guys look in their Nantucket Reds!?}

I loved the idea of Nantucket reds. In Cape weddings everyone wears the “Cape Cod tuxedos” which consists of Khakis and Navy blazers, so to have something a little different but just as casual was perfect. Those pants sparked the idea of having a nautical themed wedding. We didn't want to get as into the nautical theme as wedding crashers with personalized vows about captains and first mates. We wanted it to be very classic, preppy, and casual all at the same time. I decided that for the girls navy dresses would be perfect. So our three colors for the wedding (in weddings everything is in threes) were Red, Navy, and Light Blue.

{I love the table settings, they definitely fit with the nautical theme without taking it overboard. The white makes everything so classic}



Bridal Party:

The bridesmaids dresses are from J. Crew. I love that they have different styles in the same color and fabric. I was all about the girls picking their favorite style because they all have such different body types. Surprisingly they all picked the "Erica" style. I loved the J.Crew dresses because they can totally wear them again, they are just classic navy strapless dresses!

{Such a great (and budget friendly) option! And the fact that each girl got to choose her dress, perfection. How beautiful do all Ali's bridesmaids look?}

The girls wore Jack Rogers in Navy/White. What girl doesn’t need another pair of Jack Rogers? I love them and knew I wanted the girls to wear them for my wedding. I just think they are so classic and for a beach wedding they were perfect.

As part of the bridesmaids gifts I gave them square knot earrings to go along with the nautical theme. The girls all wore the earrings the day of as well as Cape Cod bracelets.

Invitations:
"Dot the I" Stationary did our wedding invitations. This was one of the hardest steps for me because I think the invitations really set the theme for a wedding. Even though our wedding was a little more casual I wanted a more formal invitation. On "The Knot" I found some feedback about "Dot the I" and so I e-mailed the owner Sara. We did everything online. She sent me a few samples in the mail from other weddings she had done. When I saw the quality of her work and how heavy the paper was (loved it :)) I decided to go with her. I knew I wanted to use Sankaty lighthouse on the invitation because it is one of both Lance and my favorite places to visit in Nantucket, so she made the lighthouse graphic on the invitation. The panel invitations were made and sent to me to assemble. I knew I really wanted a pocketfold invitation but instead of buying them from Dot the I decided to save a little money and bought them from cardsandpockets.com and decided to DIY. I had my girls over and we put them together. I used the lighthouse graphic on just about everything including the closure on the invitation to the personalized stamps. 

{SO classic and pure...}

I asked the Sara from Dot the I where she bought her paper and bought some of my own to make the accommodation and direction card to fit in the pocketfold. I later used the extra paper to make my fan programs.

{First Ali is amazing because she made these. Secondly, how brills to have the wedding program function as a fan??}

Special Part of the Day:
It is hard to choose the most special part but two parts of the day that stand out are right after we got married we turned to face the crowd and just looked at each other and were SO incredibly happy and in love. It just felt so amazing to finally be married! 

Another part of the day had to be when we went out on the jetty for the sunset. The photographer was pretty far away and so we were alone for the first time that day and it was incredible. We knew once we went back it would be a whirlwind again. While we were out there it was like time stood still. We felt alone but when we turned around everyone was watching us and the sunset...
 
{SO precious.}

Advice:
I would say don’t second guess yourself, if you want something get it. This is your day. Listen to others advice but do not let them make your final decision. It will feel rewarding knowing you decided and did everything you wanted to make your day perfect.
The wedding planning process was amazing so live in it! 
People tell you not to stress on the small little details but I did and I am so happy I did. A lot of our guests noticed and it meant a lot because I worked hard on them. 
On your wedding day you and your new husband should sneak away from the crowd for a little bit and really enjoy each other because the day flies by!
Married life is AMAZING. It feels great to be a wife and to have Lance as my husband. I feel so lucky to have such a wonderful husband and being married is truly a blessing!

Thank you so much, Ali and Lance, for sharing your beautiful day! And a special thanks to Ali for sharing all of your great tips and advice! We wish you all the best and many, many years of happiness to come!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin