Friday, September 4, 2009

Couch Surfing: Shredding the Internet GnarGnar

I have found myself spending exponentially more time on the couch lately as a result of my injury, and have thus found myself spending exponentially more time on the interweb. I had thought daytime TV would be my poison, but unfortunately we do not have a deluxe cable package at the rental which might include such delights as HBO or Style network (If one more person tells me I just HAVE to watch Giuliana and Bill!). Food network and HGTV usually do the trick for me, but it's risky- leave Food Network unattended for too long and you could wake up to Rachel Ray screaming about E.V.O.O., her shirt tucked into her socks, and there is just no salvaging an afternoon after that. 
{Un.Tuck.Your.SHIRT!!!!!!!}
So the internet it is. And I have found a wide range of delights to entertain my fancy. I don't know if you have heard, but there really is something out there for everyone! I thought I would share with you a few of my favorites.

Amusement: When you spend countless mind numbing hours horizontal with your leg elevated, or stuck in a cubicle I suppose, you start to really appreciate all the profoundly silly distractions the interweb has to offer. 
  • One such personal favorite of mine is Sh*t My Dad Says, the twitter account of a 28 year old man who moved back in with his charmingly insane 73 year old father. 
Weddings: As most wedding magazines are chock full of tacky ads, I have found refuge in the blogosphere for inspiration, these are a few of my faves.
  • Both Zenadia Design and Snippet & Ink feature beautiful real weddings, DIY tips and inspiration boards and are fun to look at whether or not you are panning a wedding of your own.
  • Kiss The Groom focuses more on beautimus wedding photography, great if you need ideas for wedding shots, or if you just want to look at some beautiful, sweet pictures for awhile. 
Fashion:
  • Chloe & Reese: I can't remember what site linked me to this line, but it is amazing. All their clothes are custom, and while they are pricey they aren't INSANE. My favorite thing about their website is that it kind of makes you feel like a designer. They have about 50 silouhettes (dresses, blazers, skirts, blouses etc.) that you can choose from, and from there anywhere from 5 to 25 fabrics they can make the piece from. It is interactive and their clothes are gorgeous, timeless yet hip!
  • Erin Fetherston: You may have heard of her as many of her designs were featured in 500 Days of Summer, she is very Zooey Deschanel if you need a visual. Her clothes have been trickier to actually locate online, although I have found them at ShopBop.com as well asForwardForward.com, the new luxury site from the founders of the always wonderful (for men and women) RevolveClothing.com

My Soon-to-be-Famouser than Capt'n Kangaroo Friends: And of course...What kind of benevolent blogstress would I be without giving a shoutout to my very talented friends out here in the blogosphere! 
  • http://billysbucket.blogspot.com/: My Chicago friend Billy's often NSFW (not suitable for work) blog about "everything and anything [he] wants it to be about" which is often nonsensical and deranged, but always amusing.
  • http://katymae820.blogspot.com/: My friend Kathleen's blog dedicated to her many varied interests which so far have included a Butter Butler, history lessons on Van Gogh and Gauguin, an ill-advised campaign supporting Ashby Highrise (don't get me started, but the rest of the blog is FANtastic), spiritual affirmations, and the frequent Houston Travel Guide. It's a wild ride!
  • www.livecreatingyourself.com: Pete's good childhood friend Alaina's much more proffessional and focused blog than my own featuring posts on "Style. Design. Inspiration."

2 comments:

Dunny said...

YUMMO, Food network was always a stable between classes in College and I can not stand Rachael Ray. Love the blog and thanks for the shout out.

Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

Thanks for the shout-out! And for giving me new sites to explore. Part of the joys of sitting at a computer all day, five days a week.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin