Monday, September 28, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are


I don't know about you, but the trailer's for the new Where The Wild Things Are, along with the dawning of Fall, my most favorite season, have left me feeling super nostalgic.

I am not the only one looking forward to this film, as several amazing projects have been popping up inspired by Maurice Sendak of late. 
One of which is the site/art project featured on Terrible Yellow Eyes. As the website describes:

"I don’t remember when I first read Where the Wild Things Are, but I do remember the feelings I had. At the time I lacked the vocabulary to express those feelings and now, how ever many years later, I find myself in the same situation...
{Trip Park}
What I've wanted to do for sometime is make a collection of paintings inspired by Where the Wild Things Are as a tribute and celebration of the book...My goal for this project is really just that, expressing of my love for the story.

{My personal favorite, acrylic on canvas, Shanon Bonatakis}
 
None of the art has been done for any profit but has all been created out of admiration for Maurice Sendak and Where the Wild Things Are.Over the coming weeks and months I'll display a growing collection of works created by invited contributing artists and myself.
 
{Niko Geyer}

We share a love and admiration for Sendak's work and the pieces we present here are done as a tribute to his life and legacy.
{Nicole Gustafsson}

Simply put, like a visual love letter to the book, with Terrible Yellow Eyes I am seeking to celebrate and promote the original masterwork by Maurice Sendak in the best way I know how -- with pictures."

{Paper Engineer Marshall Alexander}
Pretty Groovy if you ask me, head over to the website and check out the many other amazing interpretations of Sendak's famous illustrations. 
Another cool display is featured at Space15Twenty.com. I can't figure out if it is linked to the above project...Either way, this installation features costumes and sets inspired by the book which I believe you can go see if you are in New York!
What do you think of the W.T.W.T.A. film? Do you remember reading the books as a child? Does the trailer capture the feelings you had then? What were the most influential books you read growing up?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin