Monday, September 14, 2009

Chicago Brunch: Gemini Bistro, Toast, C.B.A.

My blogbuddy, Billy, wrote an incredibly insightful piece on the Brunch scene the other day that got me thinking about brunch in Chicago, and how few options I had found so far...Here are a few I like... 
This past week Pete and I had the pleasure of trying the newly opened Gemini Bistro in Lincoln Park. Located in an old pharmacy, the decor is warm and contemporary, casual enough to be a go-to neighborhood spot, but fancy enough for a hot date night. We visited Gemini Bistro for dinner, but they also offer a brunch service which is clutch in Lincoln Park as the neighborhood seems to lack a sufficient brunch supply for the hoards who seek a mimosa and an omelette at the end of a big weekend. 



Judging by our dinner, I would eat at Gemini Bistro as many meals a day as they would let me. The menu is broken up into "small" "medium" and "large" sections, and they encourage you to order from all three and share between diners. Between the two of us Pete and I tried thetomato soup (great flavors, v. light), the baby beet salad (omg, I think this is what they talk about on Iron Chef as "layering flavors", truffle vinaigrette, salty goat cheese, sweet baby beets, deeeeelish), ahi tuna tartar (v. fresh, yum), their soon-to-be famous duck confit nachos(manchego, duck, queso fresco, heaven),  and the sauteed skate wing (perfectly cooked, melt in your mouth).


Despite this seemingly gluttonous selection of cuisine, neither of us felt like we were in a food coma afterwards, the portions were just right and every dish just felt clean and bright. There were no major glitches in the service, considering that along with the meal, and the fact that we were there on only their second night open, I see big things for this little Bistro, and I am super excited to have them in the neighborhood. 

Since I have brunch on the brain, I should mention another great option in Lincoln Park isToast on Webster across from Oz Park. 



There are a few locations throughout the city, serving up great brunch classics with fresh twists and a side of attitude. There have been some reviewers who seem to take an issue with the owner, a sassy lady from dirty D-Town Detroit. Having been raised in the diner tradition, I personally enjoy a little sass with my eggs, and as the saying goes If You Can't Stand the Heat! It is always super crowded, and if you are going with a big group, forget it. However, there is a great counter option if you find yourself lone ranging it, and the wait usually moves pretty fast. I have had savory options here (Huevos w/chorizo and cheddar...yummm) and sweet (stuffed french toast, double yumm) and have enjoyed myself thoroughly enjoyed myself every time. 



Besides leaving my friends and family (obv), one of the most devestating parts about leaving Houston was having to bid farewell to the inmitable Hot Bagel Shop. I am a gal that LOVES myself a bagel, and my first few months here were bleak and bagel-less. That is until Chicago Bagel Authority burst onto the scene and into my heart. 


Located on Armitage and Sheffield in Lincoln Park, CBA has a lot of things going for it, not the least of which is a mean piece of dough. They have tons of options for tastey sammies, breakfast and lunch, AND they deliver! Golden. Do not be frightened away by the fact that they steam, not toast, the bagels. It's their thang and they do it well. 

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin